While the “new” circuit at Killarney is already well past its Golden Anniversary year, motor racing in the Cape began long before that.
The Mets (Metropolitan Motorcycle and Car Club), that was originally a predominantly motorcycle outfit, was formed in 1928. It was followed in 1938 by the A.A.R.C (Amateur Automobile Racing Club), one of the other partners in the eventual coalition of the four clubs that formed the W.P.M.C.
Killarney first saw action in 1947. And no history of the W.P.M.C., brief and incomplete as it may be, can be written without reference to its development.
It all began when the Divisional Council bypassed what was then a section of the main road to Malmesbury, at the Potsdam Outspan. This disused stretch was then acquired by the Mets for drag racing – or sprint events as they were first called. A section of the original road, picturesquely flanked by bluegums on both sides, still does duty today as our access road running from the main gate (now only used on race days), to the subway.