Associação Promotora do Circuito Internacional de Vila Real Hotels
Associação Promotora do Circuito Internacional de Vila Real History
The second decade of the century XX when a group of car enthusiasts in Vila Real organizes some competitions, small car examinations, elegance contests and car fairs, which immediately begin to attract the attention and enthusiasm of the public, which denotes a clear and close affinity with these matters .
In 1931, in a pioneering act, the first edition of the Automobile Circuit of Vila Real takes place, on the 15th of June, carried out by the same committee of people that organizes the Festas da Cidade and thanks to the commitment that some local personalities, among the which Aureliano Barrigas, put in this event. As the idea had already been thought of before, in 1930 a tax is levied in Vila Real on each kilo of meat in order to raise some money to cover the costs that the organization of the events involved. Thus, and with the support of the Northern Regional Section of the Automobile Club of Portugal, in 1931 the first “Automobile Circuit of Vila Real” takes shape. With a total length of 7,150 meters, competitors would have to complete 20 laps, making a total of 143 kilometers.