The event was first promoted in 1922 by the Ulster Motor Cycle Club, and originally ran on the 20.5 mile Clady circuit, located just a few miles from the modern Dundrod circuit.
During the 1920s and 30s racing was dominated by the legendary Stanley Woods on board Norton machinery, and following its early success the event was awarded the title ‘Grand Prix d’Europe’ in 1935.
Competition was soon curtailed however due to the Second World War, but in 1947 it once again got underway, this time on a new 16.5 mile Clady Circuit. Just two years later the status of the event was elevated further, as a new World Championship was established and the Ulster Grand Prix was to be chosen as a round of this series.
Over the years many of the greats raced in the World Championship on this old Clady circuit but as the event grew in popularity and bikes became faster and faster, a decision was made to transfer racing to a new 7.4 mile circuit at Dundrod in 1953. The first winner at the new circuit was Werner Hass aboard his NSU.