Camping World Stadium, the grandfather of the Orlando Venues facilities, began as a Works Progress Administration project by President Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1936. The facility was named the Orlando Stadium and was built for $115,000. The stadium was renamed the Tangerine Bowl in 1947 and the first college football bowl game was played here on January 1, 1947. Catawba College defeated Maryville College 31-6. At that time, the stadium seating capacity was 10,000.
In 1952, the stadium capacity was expanded by 2,000 seats and was host to the “Little Bowl with the Big Heart,” because all proceeds from the game went directly to charity. In 1968, the stadium underwent another expansion bringing seating capacity to 17,000 and the first press box was constructed. The Tangerine Bowl underwent expansion from 1974 to 1976, to bring the total seating capacity to 50,000.